Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Sephora's So Called "Natural Standards"

Apparently, Sephora's Natural Seal has been a highly well-known scam for a few years now. I feel like I've been living under a rock because I only recently have discovered this scam.



I've been a rather big Sephora junkie for some time now. Always asking for their giftcards on holidays, constantly surfing their site for new products, and routinely making it a high priority stop at the mall. I even applied for a job there, hopeful to become apart of this fabulous world of make-up.

Since my passion for natural cosmetics began (only for the past year or so), I've always scanned labels for ingredients, always. However, I never did that with Sephora's natural seal products. Despite my knowledge about greenwashing, I trusted my favorite store. What a mistake that was.

An article on MSNBC writes:

"Turns out dozens of products Sephora considers "naturally beautiful" contain high levels of harmful chemicals and cancer-causing agents, according to the Environmental Working Group's Cosmetics Database."

So I checked out some product's ingredients for myself. I was heartbroken. All of those beautiful eyeshadows by Tarte and Josie Maran? Filled with Dimethicone and Phenoxyethanol. The famous lip butter by Korres? Polybutene is the first ingredient. The list goes on. Although the vast majority of these natural seal products are phonies, there might be a few that are the real thing. To my knowledge, Pangea Organics is one of these.

As disappointing as this was for me, it certainly taught me a very valuable lesson: do your research. Never trust a company's word without sifting through the fine print.


Read the rest of MSNBC's article: The four biggest 'green' marketing scams

No comments:

Post a Comment